The Ave Treasury of Catholic Prayers by Ave Maria Press
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I was not raised within the rich Catholic tradition that would eventually play an important role in my conversion after Vatican II. Part of that tradition is the vast collection of prayer that have stood the test of time for nearly any occasion, situation or need … and which sadly seem to frequently be left on the shelf more often than not. As I continue to explore my new faith, this collection of 150 prayers that represents both liturgical/community prayer and less formal private/solitary prayer is the most complete collection that I have encountered and has proved to be an invaluable asset for enriching my own relationship through prayer with my creator.
Daily Prayers for Speaking with God throughout the Day
Prayers for the Sacrament of Reconciliation
Prayers for the Holy Eucharist
Prayers for the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament
Prayers and Devotions to Jesus Christ
Prayers and Devotions to the Blessed Virgin Mary
Prayers and Devotions to St. Joseph
Prayers of Blessing
Petitionary Prayers: Drawing Close to the Lord in Times of Need
Prayers for Deliverance
Prayers for Special Graces
Prayers of Surrender to God’s Loving Will
Prayers for the Grace of Forgiveness
Prayers of Thanksgiving and Praise
I was given this free advance reader copy (ARC) ebook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
View all my reviews
My Ratings Explained ...
- [ ***** ] Amazing Read - Perfect story, exciting, engrossing, well developed complex characters, solid plot with few to no holes, descriptive environments and place settings, great mystery elements, realistic dialogue, believable reactions and behaviors; a favorite that I can re-read many times.
- [ **** ] Great Read - Highly entertaining and enjoyable, exciting storyline, well developed characters and settings, a few discrepancies but nothing that can’t be overlooked. Some aspect of the story was new/refreshing to me and/or intriguing. Recommended for everyone.
- [ *** ] Good Read - Solid story with a 'good' ending, or has some other redeeming feature. Limited character development and/or over reliance on tropes. Noticeable discrepancies in world building and/or dialog/behavior that were distracting. I connected enough with the characters/world to read the entire series. Most of the books I read for fun are here. Recommended for fans of the genre.
- [ ** ] Okay Read - Suitable for a brief, afternoon escape … flat or shallow characters with little to no development. Over the top character dialog and/or behavior. Poor world building with significant issues and/or mistakes indicating poor research. Excessive use of trivial detail, info dumps and/or pontification. Any issues with the story/characters are offset by some other aspect that I enjoyed. Not very memorable. May only appeal to a niche group of readers. Recommended for some (YMMV).
- [ * ] Bad Read - Awkward and/or confusing writing style. Poor world building and/or unbelievable (or unlikeable) characters. Victimization, gaslighting, blatant abuse, unnecessary violence, child endangerment, or any other highly objectionable behaviors by Main characters. I didn't connect with the story at all; significant aspects of this story irritated me enough that I struggled to finished it. Series was abandoned. Not recommended.